Thursday, May 7, 2009

"Thy Will Be Done"


A REFLECTION ON THE LAST MOMENTS OF STONEWALL JACKSON’S LIFE THROUGH THE EYES OF HIS WIFE

The lights were dim as I sat by his side. The bitterness and the beauty of the situation had long since penetrated my heart and soul. As I glanced out the window and watched, the first rays of light spill out over the vast valley a lump rose in my throat. Tom had always wanted to go home to heaven on a Sunday and now his wish was coming true.
I bit down on my trembling lip as I clung to his remaining hand with both of mine. How horrified I had been the first day I saw Tom after he was wounded in battle by friendly fire. I almost cried out in fright when I noticed his missing arm, but I was so overwhelmed by shock that nothing escaped my lips. His face was so flushed. I knew the end had to be near.
I was surprised that Tom recognized me at once when I walked into the room. He could see into my heart and knew I was filled with worries and concerns. Of course he encouraged me to pray, but to always include, “Thy will be done…” at the close of every petition.
Thomas Jackson “Stonewall” a kinder more loving husband no one could find. He was a man of God and taught me so many valuable lessons by how he lived his life. He had complete trust in God no matter what he was going through. Whether he was at home, in the classroom, or on the battlefield he committed himself wholeheartedly to the God and Father of his soul.
He slowly woke up from his restless sleep as the sun shone brighter through the window. He tried to smile at me, but his body was so weary. I drew my face near to his and whispered between tears. “Before this day is over you will be with God.”
“I prefer it, I prefer it.” He answered. Pain was etched in his face as I held his hand tighter.
I knew he was ready to leave this world behind and to take hold of eternity. However, I myself felt crushed and broken. I held on to verses Tom and I had read so many times. I knew God would uphold me in days to come.
“It is very good…” He smiled.
I patted his hand. I knew his time was drawing nearer every second. I clung to him knowing it would be the last time on earth that my dear Tom would be with me, but I knew my Lord and Savior would never leave.
He is sovereign. Tom was confident of this and I knew I had to rest in God’s arms as well. He knew what He was doing and I needed to trust Him. I was overwhelmed with tears, but overshadowed with God’s love and care. I bowed my head and whispered through trembling lips, “Thy will be done.”

No comments: