Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Dream












One night as I slept I dreamed a dream. I found myself upon the high seas in a small fishing boat as waves raged about me. Fright filled my heart and I began to weep and cry.

I called to God in the midst of my troubles and questioned. “Oh, Lord, what am I to do? Do you not care for your servant?”

I heard no reply. The storm grew angrier than ever and raged for hours without end. I was at the point of despairing when a bright, radiant light shone about me as I fell to the bottom of the boat.

I heard a loud voice speak to me from out of the light. “My, Child, be still and calm. Come with me for I have much to show you.”

He took my trembling hand in His and swept me away, somewhere that I had never seen before.

I saw someone I did not recognize in a boat much like my own.

“Watch now,” The man said. “I want you to learn a very valuable lesson.”

I watched the man go through life. He had his share of both storm and sun. One thing I did notice, though, that while this man went through storm after storm and struggled as the wind and water raged God did little to help him. The strange thing was the man seemed to be at peace no matter what he was going through.

I turned to the one who held my hand and I looked at him with questioning eyes. “Why? Why, did you not help this man and stop the storms from tormenting him? “

The man’s gaze was compassionate. “Child, of little faith, I am God, and I can do whatever I like. I could stop every storm from tormenting my children. I could perform the wonders and miracles that you desire, but I want to give my children so much more than that.

If I calmed all their storms and quieted all their seas, they would miss so much about Me. They would never feel the warmth of my embrace or My love that holds them safe. They would never be able to see through the eyes of faith what feelings always miss. They would have the miracle they wanted, but they would not know the one who made it.

Yes, I do miracles, but not always the ones people ask for. They ask Me to calm their storms, but instead I calm them.

No comments: